Monday, January 24, 2011

Birthstone Nest Pendant

Finished nest pendants


You may well remember back when I tried to duplicate the ~Ruffles and Stuff~ Family Tree Brooch/Pendant. The gift was well received, but I thought that the tree was a little too big especially for the petite women in my family that I wanted to give it to for Christmas.

So, I put my thinking cap on. And maybe it is because of the name of my blog, but I thought of bird nests and using the beads as eggs! I'm sure it's been done before, but even so I thought I'd share with you how I did it.

Supplies
Nest pendant supplies

Ignore the glue gun! That was a proto-type. Hot glue and wire don't work together, it seems. However, you will want to gather:

-Wire cutter and needle-nose pliers
-Beading wire in your choice of metal
-Chain necklace
-Beads in the children's birthstones (Pictured here are Peridot/August for myself and Aquamarine/March for my brother)

I bought the beads at AC Moore. They have a large selection of beads in plastic tubes that are decently priced.

First, I strung on the the two beads onto the end of a piece of wire, and started coiling the wire around. If you look closely at the bottom of this picture, I think you'll get what I mean:

Nest1

I continued that until I felt the nest was big enough. Then, I brought the wire up to the top of the nest and wrapped it around the nest a few times and then looped it through a chain on the necklace before snipping it and tucking it in.

Voila! Easy peasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment